Monday, October 19, 2015

Election Day

Monday October 11, 2015....election day has arrived.  To be quite honest when I lived in larger cities I have never really been too concerned about voting, and zero interest in politics.  But since I have been living in a smaller rural area I have taken an interest in not only voting but also working at the elections locally.  And only a slight interest in politics.
Last year, I worked at the Emsdale election as an Information Officer.  This year I have accepted a position as a Registration Officer in Katrine.  Abby has also accepted a position as an Information Officer this year in Katrine.  So we get to spend the entire day (A full 12 hours)in the same room together. When they first called us I was going to go to Emsdale and Abby was going to be in Katrine.  God forbid that we should have been apart for that length of time.  But we didn't have to worry about it.  Being at the same polling station just made it easier to bring a cooler of lunch dinner and snacks.
Two weeks before the election, they had a training for us.   We finally got to see the Uviversity of Waterloo building in Huntsville.  I was quite impressed by the foyer they have in there and boy what a beautiful winding spiral staircase and wall we saw.  The wall was completely covered with live plants.  It was absolutely breath-taking and a pleasant surprise.
The training was much better than last year.  Last year was all last minute and all I got for training was a half hour in front of computer videos...but this year they called early enough to book us for the proper training. 
To my surprise the person facilitating the the election training was none other than my high school English and Theatre Arts teacher...and he actually remembered me.  I never dreamed in a million years that I would ever be in one of his classes again.  Amazing!!!
And now here it is election day...we have made it to the 6th hour...we are almost half way through our day.  We have had just over 120 voters so far.   It's been steady but kind of boring...no music, TV and only what little Internet I have on my phone.
Well we made it through the 12 hour day...whew...I'm sorry there are no photos for this post since the confidentiality rule was in place.  But it was interesting, and a very very long day.  What is Canada in store for over the next 4 years?  I guess only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments